WINGWOOD HOUSE

Bar Harbor, Maine

1926 - 1954

 

 

Wingwood House postcard

View of Wingwood House from Frenchman's Bay

 

In 1926, the Stotesburys purchased Four Acres, the A.J. Cassatt estate on Eden Street in Bar Harbor. After a valiant but frustrating attempt by Palm Beach architect Howard Major to renovate the existing house, the Stotesburys hired Philadelphia architect Louis Magaziner to start over, resulting in the majestic Wingwood House. When it was finally completed in 1928, the house served as the Bar Harbor "retreat" for the Stotesburys. Although the house was spared by the great Bar Harbor fire of 1947, it also did not survive, leaving only memories for those fortunate enough to have been entertained in the grand style at Wingwood House.

Watch a video about the story of Wingwood House

(Be sure to turn on your audio to hear the music)

 

 

 

 

 

 

GUEST BOOK
All original material, digital images and HTML coding Copyright (c) 2008 by Wayne C Willcox. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. All HTML coding and digital images are the copyrighted property of Wayne C Willcox. No portion of this Web site may be copied without the express written permission from Wayne C Willcox. Wayne C Willcox intends to protect its copyrights. However, this and other pages on this website may be linked from any other Web pages, so long as the contents and/or appearance are not altered in any way.